During pregnancy, women have a lot of appetites and usually, their desires are different from normal. One of the cravings that can be seen in abundance in pregnant women is the craving for sweets and desserts, especially donuts. In the following, you will learn about donuts and the benefits and harms of consuming them during pregnancy.
Donuts and pregnancy
Donut is a popular dessert for many age groups, which is rich in fat, calories, sugar, artificial colors, and preservatives, and has a lot of carbohydrates that will increase blood sugar levels. The donut is available in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla flavors.
Precautions Before Eating Donuts During Pregnancy
In the preparation and consumption of donuts, there is a possibility of 3 types of diseases, namely salmonella, listeria, and toxoplasmosis, which are caused by bacteria and parasites.
- Salmonella occurs when eating raw food, especially eggs, and meat.
- Listeriosis due to the consumption of dairy products made from raw milk
- Toxoplasmosis is caused by the contamination of fruits.
To deal with risks such as salmonella and listeria, it is better to use hard-boiled eggs when baking cookies, or if necessary, use freshly produced eggs stored in a cool place. Also, be sure to use fully pasteurized milk and cream, and to prevent toxoplasmosis, wash the fruits carefully and then eat them. Avoid using snow eggs in baking. Sweets and desserts that are prepared industrially do not have the risk of contracting the mentioned cases and are safe.
During pregnancy, people are prone to gain weight, however, they are very fond of sweets, but it is better to use fruits, salad, and yogurt instead of sweets and desserts and keep your weight balanced. It is also very important to exercise during this period.
Benefits of Donuts During Pregnancy
1. Secretion of happy hormones
During pregnancy, pregnant women have a strong desire to consume certain foods, including donuts, and if these desires are answered, the happy hormones dopamine and endorphins will be released and will create a feeling of pleasure and satisfaction in the person.
2. Supplying the energy needed by the body
Donuts are full of sugar, which increases the body’s energy level.
3. Preventing nausea
Donuts have a strong smell and taste that can help pregnant women reduce nausea during pregnancy.
4. Preventing constipation
As donuts are made from wheat flour, they contain a lot of fiber, which helps to prevent constipation during pregnancy.
Risks of eating donuts during pregnancy
Donut is a processed food rich in sugar and fat, which is why it causes bloating in the stomach.
2. Being free of nutrients
Donuts, despite creating a great sense of pleasure, contain very small amounts of nutrients.
3. Gaining too much weight
Due to their high sugar and fat, donuts will cause a sharp increase in weight.
4. Exacerbation of gestational diabetes
Donuts are rich in sugar, which aggravates gestational diabetes.
5. Pre-eclampsia, premature birth, and sometimes miscarriage
Donuts can cause multiple health problems, including pre-eclampsia, premature birth, and sometimes miscarriage.
Excessive consumption of donuts due to the sugar content in donuts can cause premature birth and miscarriage because donuts are high in saturated fat and sugar, which causes high blood pressure.
6. The risk of developing diabetes in later years
Donuts are rich in sugar and fat, which increases the probability of developing Type II diabetes later.
7. Can cause harm to the baby
Eating donuts during pregnancy can lead to low birth weight.
6. Heart and brain diseases
Donuts are full of unhealthy saturated fats, which in case of excessive consumption will increase the level of blood cholesterol and as a result, the person will suffer from heart disease, stroke, and even death.
High cholesterol levels due to donuts increase the risk of heart disease by more than 50%.
Tips on eating donuts during pregnancy
- Avoid consumption if you have diabetes or high weight.
- Pay attention to the expiration date on the donut packaging.
- Chocolate donuts increase energy and if someone has trouble sleeping, it will be greatly affected, so don’t eat donuts at night before going to bed.
- If donuts are not prepared at home, they should be purchased from a reliable store because they may contain pathogens of listeria and toxoplasmosis infections, which are dangerous for the mother and the development of the fetus.
Suitable substitutes for donuts during pregnancy
- Candies with low fat and sugar percentage.
- Frozen combination of fruits with water or milk.
Donut is one of the favorite desserts of many people. This sweet and delicious food is rich in sugar and fat, which has significant effects on the aggravation of gestational diabetes and weight gain. Donuts have few nutrients compared to other foods. Eating donuts in moderation is not dangerous for pregnant women and other people.