Durian is a fruit for hot regions, which is not very popular because of its pungent and not very pleasant smell. The taste of this fruit is sweet. Durian is rich in minerals and nutrients, vitamins, and fibers.
Its many properties are very useful for health, which you will learn more about later.
Table of Contents
- Durian At a Glance
- Can You Eat Durian While Pregnant?
- Benefits of Durian During Pregnancy
- Risks of Consuming Durian During Pregnancy
Durian At a Glance
Durian is known as the king of fruits and is found in Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Indonesia. This fruit is large in terms of dimensions. Durian is like jackfruit, but it has more fiber and less sugar. The smell of this fruit is a type of benefit It is considered, it does not have a specific shape and has various shapes. Durian contains calories, carbohydrates, protein, fats, dietary fiber, various vitamins, magnesium, iron, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
Can You Eat Durian While Pregnant?
As mentioned above, durian as a fruit contains minerals, nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants such as organosulfur and tryptophan, which have turned durian into an anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal substance that is effective for a time. They are very effective during pregnancy, so the answer to the above question is yes, and they can be consumed during pregnancy, but it should not be forgotten that this fruit should be consumed in moderation, because excessive consumption of it is harmful.
Benefits of Durian During Pregnancy
Many of the foods we consume contain free radicals. These radicals damage cells and even the genetic material, sometimes they cause mutations in the genetic material and eventually cause cancer in the body. Durian is a type of antioxidant called polyphenol. It has in it that it fights free radicals and eliminates the risk of infection to some extent. The results of some tests have shown that durian contains flavonoids and phenolics which are anti-cancer substances that prevent the activity and increase of cancer cells.
Lowering the risk of heart disease
One of the important causes of heart disease is eating unhealthy foods that have a lot of sugar and fat. The accumulation of these fats will cause high blood pressure and atherosclerosis. Durian is rich in potassium, which is effective in strengthening blood circulation and preventing fat accumulation, and reducing it. Therefore, it prevents blood pressure, and heart and liver diseases.
Durian balances the blood sugar level.
This fruit has a low glycemic index and by eating it, glucose rises slowly, so it balances the blood sugar level. A large amount of fiber in durian prevents the absorption of sugar and carbohydrates by accumulating in the intestine. Also, durian increases the amount of insulin. They affect the amount of glucose in the blood.
Durian accelerates digestion
As mentioned, this fruit is rich in soluble and insoluble fiber, which plays a role in digestion and strengthening intestinal function. Foods rich in fiber make people feel full, and prevent overeating and problems such as constipation, gas, and bloating.
It has a positive effect on the mood
The mood of people is affected by the state of neurotransmitters and hormones related to the brain. Some foods help to improve this issue. Vitamin C present in durian affects the function of white blood cells and improves their efficiency.
Strengthens the skin.
Durian is rich in vitamin C. This vitamin plays a role in removing pigments and keeping the skin healthy. Also, vitamin C helps in the production of collagen, a protein effective in skin health, cell damage, reducing oxidative stress and wrinkles.
Zinc, iron, and vitamin B have positive effects on hair growth and keeping it healthy, vitamin C also plays the same role by increasing the production of collagen and finally producing new follicles.
Risks of Consuming Durian During Pregnancy
- Durian causes problems in the functioning of the stomach: Consuming this fruit may cause bloating, constipation and gas, so it should be consumed in moderation.
- Durian is not compatible with medicines: People who have diabetes and take medicine should be cautious in consuming this fruit because it will interfere with the medicine. Also, if durian is eaten with alcohol, it will cause vomiting, headache, etc.
- Intensification of kidney disease symptoms: People who have kidney disease and undergo dialysis should not consume a lot of durians because the amount of potassium in their body has increased and the kidneys cannot filter this amount of potassium, so the accumulation of potassium in the body will cause problems.
- It is very difficult to consume durian, although it has a mild and excellent taste because its mantle is hard and sharp, so many people do not want to use it.
- Durian is rich in sugar and carbohydrates, so pregnant women with diabetes, pregnant women with a family history of diabetes, and women who are obese and overweight should not use it.
- Durian is a fruit that, despite its many properties, some people dislike because it smells like something consisting of sulfur, sewage, fruit, honey, and roasted and rotten onions, which is unbearable, and its use is prohibited in some places.
The durian fruit has many properties, including the presence of mineral and nutritious elements, the use of which brings many benefits to all people, but sometimes it is not welcomed because of its unpleasant smell. This fruit is found in tropical regions and is not accessible in all parts of the world. Despite all the properties of this fruit, it should not be used more than in moderation because sometimes it will be dangerous for some people with certain diseases and problems.