Since expectant mothers must have a diet with a variety of nutrients, vitamins, and essential substances, it is necessary to know about the nutritional dos and don’ts during pregnancy. In this article, we will discuss whether shrimp can be consumed during pregnancy and what are the benefits and harms of shrimp during this period.
Table of Contents
- Shrimp at a Glance
- Can Pregnant Women Consume Shrimp?
- The Best Way to Consume Shrimp During Pregnancy
- What are the Benefits of Shrimp During Pregnancy?
- Can Shrimp be Harmful While I Pregnant?
Shrimp at a Glance
- Rich in protein
- Contains iodine
- Omega 3 fatty acid
- Low mercury
- Low fat
- Low calorie
Can Pregnant Women Consume Shrimp?
As mentioned, shrimp is a healthy source of protein for pregnant women and their children. The protein and iodine in shrimp can help the development of nerves and muscles of the fetus. Also, the omega-3 fatty acid in fat is necessary for pregnant women to absorb essential fatty acids.
One thing that should be noted is that pregnant women should not consume raw shrimp because shrimp can be infected with listeria or tapeworms and other parasites, which will cause danger to the mother and the fetus. Pregnant women should be advised to consume well-cooked food so that harmful pathogens do not harm the fetus and mother.
When preparing shrimps, it is better to use packaged shrimps, because often immediately after being caught, raw or cooked shrimps are kept at the freezing temperature to maintain their quality, and they are not removed from the packaging until they are consumed. But still, even packaged shrimp should not be consumed raw.
Eating Shrimp Sushi During Pregnancy
Eating raw shrimp sushi, like eating raw fish sushi, is prohibited during pregnancy, but if cooked or fried shrimp are used in shrimp sushi, it is safe to eat it during pregnancy.
Eating Shrimp Salad During Pregnancy
There is no problem in eating shrimp salad because all the salad ingredients are already cooked or grilled. It is recommended to consume shrimp salad quickly and within 24 hours after buying it so that it is not contaminated with pathogens.
The Best Way to Consume Shrimp During Pregnancy
- Cooking seafood, including shrimp, at a temperature of at least 70°C for 10 minutes can destroy all pathogens.
- When preparing shrimp, you should pay attention to the color of the shrimp. The red and not transparent color of the shrimp indicates that the shrimp is not raw and can be used.
- Pre-cooked shrimp should be reheated before consumption.
- If frozen shrimp are purchased, they should not be re-frozen after heating.
- Shrimp spoils quickly, so it should be prepared and consumed as soon as possible.
- Before cooking shrimp, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Wash the shrimp under cold water before cleaning and then quickly peel the shrimp.
- Shrimp shells and veins should be thrown away as soon as possible.
- Shrimp must be fully cooked.
Allergic reaction to shrimp during pregnancy
If a pregnant woman is allergic to shrimp before pregnancy, she should not use shrimp during pregnancy. Also, if an allergic reaction has occurred for the first time during pregnancy, it should not be used again.
What are the Benefits of Shrimp During Pregnancy?
- Omega 3 fatty acids; Reducing the risk of premature birth during pregnancy – Proper fetal weight gain – Brain and eye development of the fetus – Reducing the risk of preeclampsia – Reducing allergies in children – Reducing the risk of postpartum depression
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin D
- Iron, magnesium, potassium, iodine, zinc, calcium
Can Shrimp be Harmful While I Pregnant?
In general, pregnant women should avoid eating seafood that has a high level of mercury because mercury can damage the nervous system of the developing fetus.
Necessary precautions when consuming shrimp during the dry season
- Shrimp should be purchased from reputable centers.
- Check the color, skin, and smell of the shrimp so that the meat of the shrimp is transparent with little smell.
- When buying shrimp, also buy a bag of ice.
- The package of shrimp should be checked well.
- Do not eat raw shrimp.
Shrimp can be one of the most delicious foods that pregnant women can eat during pregnancy in different ways, such as grilled, fried, boiled, shrimp salad, or other things. Shrimp is rich in nutrients and vitamins necessary for the mother and the fetus, but it should be noted that the shrimp are purchased from reputable centers avoid eating raw shrimp during the pregnancy period so that it is completely safe and does not harm the fetus.