There are many types of pumpkins, and chayote is one of them. The chayote pumpkin, also known as mirliton or choko pumpkin, was once only grown in Latin America, but now it is grown worldwide. There are many nutrients in this pumpkin. In addition to being nutritious, it contains minerals that are very effective at improving the health of the body, which you will discover in this article.
Chayote At a glance
Each type of pumpkin has unique properties and contains a variety of nutrients that improve health. It can be used in all kinds of foods and it is effective for both the growth of the fetus and the protection of the mother.
Benefits of Eating Chayote During Pregnancy
- Contains a lot of nutrients: Chayote is rich in all kinds of vitamins, minerals and fiber. This pumpkin contains different amounts of calories, carbohydrates, protein, fat, fiber, vitamin B, vitamin K, manganese, copper, zinc, potassium, magnesium and folate. Folate accelerates cell division.
- There are strong antioxidants in chayote: Antioxidants that are abundant in some foods are responsible for protecting cells from damage, reducing inflammation and stress. Chayote also has large amounts of antioxidants that include Quercetin, Myricetin , murine and kaempferol. Among these antioxidants, the amount of Myricetin is higher than the others, which fights against cancer and diabetes and is a strong reducer of inflammation. Other famous antioxidants in this pumpkin include vitamin He mentioned that it is very effective in maintaining the health of the body.
- Chayote is effective in maintaining heart health: consumption of chayote reduces blood pressure and lowers cholesterol. The reason for lowering blood pressure by consuming chayote is the compounds that are present in this pumpkin. Also, chayote is rich in fiber, so consuming foods containing fiber play an important role in reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Keeps the blood sugar level balanced: Because of its soluble fiber, chayote plays a role in the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates and lowers the blood sugar level. There is a kind of resistance in the body that occurs against insulin, in which the cells of the body resist the hormone that balances the blood sugar level, i.e. insulin, and no longer show sensitivity. Chayote can affect insulin and balance blood sugar levels.
- Promotes health during pregnancy: Chayote is rich in folate. Folate is necessary for all people, but it is very important for a pregnant woman because it plays an important role in the development of the brain and spinal cord of the child and in preventing disorders during childbirth. he does.
- Fights cancer: This issue has not yet been conclusively proven. But in some experiments, chayote has prevented the growth of cancer cells in the cervix. Of course, fruits and vegetables definitely help prevent the occurrence of cancer, including cancers related to the organ. They are very useful for digestion.
- Reduces the risk of premature aging: There are free radicals in the body that damage the cells of the body and cause premature aging. Antioxidants play a very important role in this stage and prevent damage to the cells. So, chayote, which contains many antioxidants, and one of them is vitamin C, is very effective in slowing down the aging process. Vitamin C helps in the production of collagen, collagen is a protein that is effective in skin rejuvenation. Also, chayote extract from cells in Protects against harmful rays.
- Increases the efficiency of the liver: One of the dangers that always threatens the liver is fatty liver disease. In this disease, fats accumulate in the liver and affect its efficiency. Chayote extract prevents the accumulation of fats in the liver and In people with this disease, it spontaneously cures or basically prevents the occurrence of fatty liver, but how this process is still not completely clear.
- Consumption of chayote leads to healthy weight gain: Chayote squash, while low in calories, is rich in fiber. Fiber significantly slows down the emptying of the stomach and makes people feel full for a longer time. Or at least feel full. It is also said that consuming food containing fiber increases the level of satiety hormones in the body.
- Chayote supports healthy digestion: A healthy diet should have a lot of fruits and vegetables, because the consumption of fruits and vegetables plays an important role in the health of the digestive system. and are effective in removing toxic substances from this device. Also, as mentioned above, the many fibers found in chayote increase and protect the beneficial bacteria in the intestine, regulate the work of the intestine, and prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and colon cancer.
Can chayote pumpkin be consumed during pregnancy?
According to the characteristics and many nutrients that are present in chayote, the answer to this question is definitely positive, and during pregnancy, by consuming this pumpkin, you can benefit from its unique properties.
Risks of Eating Chayote
Chayote has many benefits, but the only harm it will probably have is to create a type of sensitivity in people that occurs after touching it, which, of course, does not happen to everyone. This sensitivity is called contact dermatitis, which causes a burning sensation after coming into contact with chayote. If you see these symptoms, be sure to see a doctor.
How to include chayote in your diet?
Chayote is light green and pear-shaped, which also has ridges. All parts of this squash are edible and can be eaten both raw and cooked. If we want to eat it raw, we can eat it. Put it in a salad, but if you want it cooked, this pumpkin can be easily steamed or fried, and you can put it in soups, stews, etc. to take advantage of the properties of this magical fruit.
How to prepare chayote for consumption
This pumpkin, which is harvested only in autumn, can be found in specialized food stores during all months of the year. When choosing it, make sure that it does not have dark spots, cuts, cracks, and soft parts, and it is completely healthy and colorful.
To consume chayote, you must first peel it, cut it into pieces and eat it cooked or raw according to your taste. Chayote can be used in salad, pickled, fried, pureed, etc. Also, if you do not cut it You can keep it in the refrigerator for a month.
Fruits and vegetables are an essential part of people’s daily diet, which is much more important for pregnant women. Chayote squash, which is in the category of fruits, is low in calories and rich in nutrients and minerals, including fiber and antioxidants. There are many types of vitamins, etc. Consuming chayote as a food supplement has many benefits for the body.