Horseradish is not only a plant, but also a seasoning for food, barbecue sauce, cough syrup, and also a medicine to relieve pain, and because of its many medicinal properties, it has been used for many years in different countries.
This plant grows in Eastern Europe and has many benefits in traditional medicine and contains vitamins C and B1.
Table of Contents
- What you should know about horseradish:
- Eating Horseradish during pregnancy
- Is Horseradish useful in pregnancy?
- Traditional applications of horseradish
- What points should we pay attention to when consuming horseradish during pregnancy?
- Is it dangerous to consume horseradish during pregnancy?
- Horseradish consumption during breastfeeding
What you should know about horseradish:
- Consuming horseradish supplements in the form of mud is dangerous for your health during pregnancy.
- During pregnancy, you can consume radish with other foods, including cream cheese.
- Horseradish is not mandatory for expectant mothers.
- Thoroughly washing radish prevents the risk of toxoplasmosis and listeria.
- Homemade sauces made with horseradish are unsuitable for pregnant women due to the possibility of dangerous bacteria.
Eating Horseradish during pregnancy
Yes, Horseradish is very useful for you and the fetus in your belly due to its many properties in its root, in addition to fighting infections, it also strengthens your immune system and is useful for mothers who are suffering from colds.
- Eating radish during pregnancy is not a problem, but consuming too much of it is dangerous under certain conditions
- Avoid using concentrated horseradish essential oils during pregnancy.
- Be careful when using horseradish essential oils and try to consult a nutritionist or pharmacist before using it.
Eating cream cheese with horseradish
Yes, if you make sure that the cream cheese is pasteurized, you can eat it with horseradish
Consuming horseradish sauce during pregnancy
Yes, horseradish essential oils are very dangerous in pregnancy when they are prepared in high concentration, so it is better to be careful about this issue, and as it was said in the consumption of cream cheese with horseradish, harmful parasites that are the cause of infectious diseases such as toxoplasmosis or listeria is destroyed because when preparing this sauce, the grated radishes with sugar are placed in a warm place and it causes the formation of many bacteria and viruses, so it is better to get it from the supermarket because it is prepared at a high temperature and parasites and Bacteria are destroyed.
Is Horseradish useful in pregnancy?
Yes, horseradish with various vitamins and minerals including iron, magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus is very useful for you and the baby inside your belly, magnesium is useful for muscle cramps and muscle building in babies, also the iron in horseradish is very useful for Anemia is beneficial and causes enough blood to be formed for you. So, if you consume it correctly and in the right amount, it is very useful for you during pregnancy.
Consuming radish during pregnancy will make you and your baby benefit from valuable substances.
The benefits of Horseradish during pregnancy
- Horseradish has group E and B vitamins and is a rich source of vitamin C so it has several times more vitamin C than lemon
- Radish is made of different minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and most of all sinigrin.
- organic acids, essential oils, proteins, starch, enzymes, carbohydrates, and phytoncides.
- Preventing the growth of viruses and bacteria and its antibacterial properties
- Eliminate urinary tract infections
- Sinigrin present in horseradish destroys cancer cells (but there is no clinical data at the moment)
Vitamins and minerals in Horseradish
Horseradish is a rich source of vitamin C to the extent that you get several times the vitamin C of sour lemon. Almost every 100 grams of horseradish contains 170 mg of vitamin C and it is among the top 10 vitamin suppliers.
By eating radish during pregnancy, you not only supply vitamin C to yourself and your baby but also strengthen the immune system of both.
During pregnancy, you need 80 to 90 mg of magnesium per day, and during breastfeeding, this amount increases to 5 times, and many pregnant women suffer from magnesium deficiency, including the symptoms of magnesium deficiency in the body, such as headaches and leg cramps. and besides, your child needs it for the growth of his muscles and bones.
The body of a normal person needs 1000 mg of iron per day, but the body of a pregnant person needs more iron, and this amount increases to 1200 mg.
Calcium is one of the most important minerals for growing and building the bones of the fetus inside your belly, and in case of calcium deficiency, you and your baby will suffer from osteoporosis.
One of the most important elements of your life is iron. Iron must be in your diet during pregnancy because, in addition to blood formation, it is also responsible for oxygen transfer in your body and your baby.
Potassium is one of the important minerals during pregnancy that prevents many pregnancy diseases such as high blood pressure and also regulates your body water and keeps it balanced.
Traditional applications of horseradish
- Treatment of kidney stones
- Treatment of gout
- Blood pressure regulator
- Treatment of asthma and shortness of breath
- Treatment of rheumatism
- Reduce headache
- Chest congestion
- Treatment of muscle stiffness
Can horseradish cause abortion?
You may have heard that it is said that horseradish causes premature birth, but this myth is nothing more than a lie. Consuming horseradish is not harmful to you during pregnancy, but substances such as turmeric or ginger may make a difference.
Homeopathic medicines with the active ingredient Radix Armoraciae will cause you to miscarry. Consuming too much horseradish with a very strong essential oil will also cause this issue.
What points should we pay attention to when consuming horseradish during pregnancy?
Always try to wash vegetables and fruits well before consuming them so that the parasites and contaminations in them are removed this is not only for pregnant women and everyone should follow it.
How to store horseradish
It is better to keep the radish in the refrigerator because, in addition to maintaining its freshness and quality, its taste and flavor will not be lost. It is a place for the growth of bacteria.
Is it dangerous to consume horseradish during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, low back pain, bladder infection, nausea and vomiting, and heartburn are common side effects.
A bladder infection occurs when the fetus grows in the mother’s stomach and the bladder is pushed down, this causes bacteria to easily enter the urinary tract.
If you are not interested in taking antibiotics during pregnancy, you can use alternative methods that include mustard oil. It is made from the root of orange and horseradish. In addition to strengthening the immune system, this oil prevents the growth and spread of bacteria and viruses in the body, but it is better to consult your doctor before using it.
High consumption of horseradish during pregnancy
Consuming too much radish can be poisonous for you, and its poisonous part is in the root, and too much consumption brings the following discomforts:
- Edema of pregnancy
- Burns and mouth sores
- Preterm delivery
- Weakness and numbness of the body
- Stomach upset and heartache
So you should consume in balance.
Also, horseradish does not interfere with drugs except levothyroxine, which reduces thyroid activity
Side effects of horseradish
- Nausea and vomiting
- Excessive body sweating
- Eye irritation or burning
- Skin irritation or burning
- stomach discomfort
As there is a possibility of allergy like any other supplement, horseradish rarely has severe side effects and clinical information about side effects is not available. But there is a risk of an allergic reaction to anaphylaxis, which is a dangerous allergy. If you notice an allergy while using horseradish, contact your doctor.
Contraindications of horseradish in pregnancy
If you have chronic diseases of internal organs, you should avoid eating radish. Pregnant mothers should stop consuming radish if they have the following substances:
- Having kidney stones and dysfunction
- High blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, and cardiac arrhythmia
- Having an allergy to horseradish
- Gastrointestinal disease, includes gastric ulcers, gastritis, cholecystitis, and other digestive diseases
Horseradish consumption during breastfeeding
It is not forbidden to consume anything except alcohol and tobacco during breastfeeding, but many mothers avoid certain foods during this period, such as spicy foods and products that are composed of carbohydrates, which cause bloating and pain in the bottom of the child’s body. Because horseradish contains spicy mustard oil, it is not recommended to use it during breastfeeding. But if your child is compatible with this, you can eat it because it will strengthen the immune system of both of you.
Horseradish is used in traditional medicine in the treatment of many infectious diseases and inflammation in pregnancy, and it contains many vitamins and minerals, so its consumption during pregnancy is very useful for you and helps you and the fetus.