Tzatziki is a Greek sauce used with bread, grilled meat, and fish.
- Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Dill and mint
- Commercial tzatziki can also contain pepper, onion, nuts, and starch.
Eating Tzatziki During Pregnancy
- It is generally allowed during pregnancy. It is important to use fresh tzatziki because if it is exposed to the air for a long time, it may be a good place for the growth of bacteria such as listeria.
- Greek yogurt has twice the protein and half the carbohydrates of regular yogurt. Most commercial yogurts are safe during pregnancy because they are pasteurized and do not contain pathogenic organisms.
- Make sure that dill and cucumber in Tzatziki are washed well and you can use a dehydrator to remove moisture from cucumbers because cucumber has high moisture and more moisture will cause bacteria to grow.
- The garlic in Tzatziki is consumed raw, which is safe and has antibacterial properties against bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus. It is also better to use pasteurized vinegar and lemon juice in this sauce.
The separation of thicker consistency from thinner consistency in yogurt is called syneresis.
Stabilizers that help reduce synergism include:
Pectin – carrageenan – alginate – starch – corn – gelatin
If the said items are on the product, it means that the sauce is stabilized in terms of moisture.
Important Points in the use of Tzatziki During Pregnancy
- Ensuring the freshness of tzatziki
- Do not use it if you are not sure that the sauce is fresh
- Use of factory tzatziki
- Store tzatziki in the refrigerator
Permissible Sauces During Pregnancy
- Sauce with cheese
- Industrial sauces
- Sauce with cream or milk
- Homemade sauce
Note: It is important to note that the raw materials of all the mentioned sauces are pasteurized and free of microorganisms. Also, it is better not to use raw eggs in sauces during pregnancy, otherwise, you must ensure that the eggs are fresh and free of microorganisms such as salmonella.
Note: soy-based sauces should be considered among the prohibited sauces during pregnancy.
The tzatziki sauce is one of the popular sauces that are part of meals. It is safe to use tzatziki during pregnancy, but it is better to use commercial sauces that are pasteurized, and if you prepare this sauce at home, make sure that the ingredients are fresh.
After preparing tzatziki, it must be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 3-4 days, and if there are signs of spoilage such as water accumulation on the yogurt, it should be avoided.